Style Over Substance? Can Our Styling Choices Cause or Worsen Hair Loss
When we select styling products for our hair, our first thought is almost never about hair health or treatment benefits, it’s all about the finished look – but that approach is something we should rethink! Designed to make your hair look its best, you should know that many styling products can surprisingly have the opposite effect and contribute to damage and loss! For example, straighteners and relaxers can cause chemical burns that can scar the hair follicle and lead to permanent loss. Products like hair spray and gels can contain alcohol, which can dry out hair and strip the scalp of natural and necessary hydration and protection (What happens to your face when you put alcohol on it? Hint-the same thing happens to your scalp, it’s skin after all).
Many styling products, especially those that provide firm or extreme hold (and are what women with thinning hair often reach for), leave residue on hair that can damage or cause it to break when brushed out or combed. If your hair is already thinning, this kind of damage or loss is like insult to injury. And it’s entirely avoidable. You don’t need to give up great style to have great hair!
Keranique’s Thickening & Texturizing Mousse provides instant, tack-free volume, was formulated for women who are experiencing thinning hair and who want to prevent loss, so it’s a styling product that has serious treatment benefits built in!
• Contains humectants. Humectants attract moisture from the environment, and they bind it to hair, important because that helps improve dryness.
• Contains hydrators that help restore moisture and maintain moisture balance.
• Contains ingredients that target, bond to and help repair the damaged sections of hair
• Helps reduce loss due to breakage by fortifying the hair fiber.
• Provides surface conditioning; it smooths the cuticle to enhance shine, combability.
• Penetrates the cortex of the hair, building strength from within.
• Contains a scalp-strengthening peptide to repair and nourish.
It’s also sulfate, paraben, alcohol & artificial dye-free. It is in a non-aerosol package – which is super important. This means there are no propellants that harm the ozone!
Whether your hair is thinning, or if you are simply concerned about avoiding damage and loss, it’s important to consider every step of your daily haircare routine and to reach for products that will help you reach your hair growth goals.