If your hair becomes dry and dull, it can make you feel less than beautiful. However, it is pretty easy to diagnose dry hair and treat it so you can feel your best again! There are several things that cause dry hair. Let’s go over each and how you can treat it:

1. Hot styling tools. If you love to dry, curl, or straighten your hair, you may be damaging your hair and making it dry if you are using these tools every day. Try not to use hot styling tools every single day. When you do use these tools, use a heat protectant to protect your hair from damage. It can also help if you don’t wash your hair every single day or let your hair air-dry from time to time.
  2. Using cheap hair care products or ones that are not made for your hair type. If you grab whatever shampoo and condition are cheapest on the shelf, you might not be doing your hair any favors. Check the label. Some products contain alcohol, which dries out your hair quickly. If you have extra dry hair already, you will want to look for moisturizing products that contain natural oils.
  3. Washing your hair too often. If you have very oily and greasy hair, you may need to wash it every day. Otherwise, you definitely don’t need to. If your hair tends to be on the dry side, you don’t need to wash it every day. Aim to wash it two or three times a week, or less if you can get away with it. When you do wash your hair, be gentle and don’t rub or tug it with a towel after. Simply pat dry.
  4. Chemical coloring and bleaching. The number one way to make your hair dry is to bleach it. The process is so harsh that it naturally dries out your hair. If you bleach or color your hair regularly, ask your hairstylist for shampoo, conditioner, and other products that can help protect your color and keep your hair moisturized. The same goes for chemical straightening or perms.
  5. The environment. Unfortunately, Mother Nature can also make your hair dry out. Extreme heat and sun, low humidity, or cold winds can all make your hair dry. If you regularly swim in chlorinated pools or are exposed to the weather (both hot and cold), you may need some help for dry hair. If you are swimming, try to leave your hair up in a swim cap to protect your strands.

Did you realize that all of these factors can lead to dry hair? Do you regularly have dry or damaged hair? What do you think is the cause?

Need a new shampoo and conditioner? Try our Deep Hydration shampoo and conditioner to help your hair stay moisturized and fresh. Make sure to use hair masks or deep conditioning treatments to help treat your dry hair too!

If you found this article informative, please SHARE with your friends and family who often have dry hair and aren’t sure what is causing their issues!

12 thoughts on “Causes of Dry Hair and How to Treat It

Hi Caroline, thank you for reaching out. A representative from our Customer Relations team will contact you to better assist you.

1. Flor says:

I love this product ❤️ I have used for 4 months I use all types of products put my money in the trash
    Until keranique I have seen major results so much baby hair all over my head ❤️❤️

Aw we love to hear that, Flor! ❤ Thank you so much for sharing and remember that we’re always here for you! Don’t hesitate to reach out 😊

2. Tammie Milburn says:

Ever since I started your product a month ago, my hair has become frizzy. I do have new growth which I am happy about. I really think it’s from the conditioner. It doesn’t
    make my hair feel soft & now I have to fight rats.
    I never had this problem before. I wash it every 3 days, I do not blow it dry, except for the bangs. I do color it.
    I want to use my own conditioner again. If I do, will your shampoo still work? I do have natural curly hair that waves.

Hi Tammie, thanks for using Keranique!For curly hair, we highly recommend our Curl Preserve Scalp Nourishing Shampoo & Conditioner. Both are scientifically formulated to enhance curl definition, control frizz and decrease breakage. You can also customize these into your Hair Regrowth System! We have sent a contact request to our Customer Relations team to reach out and better assist you with your experience, usage and goals ♥

3. Michele says:

I used your product and I was very satisfied. Unfortunately I stopped using it and my hair looks terrible, so I’ve decided to start using it again. I also bought the vitamin pill. I’ll keep you updated on how my hair is doing. Thank You Keranique! ☺

Hi Michele, We are so excited for you! We recommend taking photos of your hair before and after, so you can track your progress. Enjoy your product!

4. Veronica Gbago says:

Thanks for sharing this useful information. To tell you the truth am very proud of your product.The only challenge i have now is that i found it painful to comb my hair.(natural . What should i used?

Thank you so much for sharing, Veronica! We apologize that you are experiencing this issue. For dry hair, we highly recommend switching to our Deep Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner formulas which are formulated to moisturize and detangle without looking or feeling heavy; leaving your hair soft, silky and protected. Combine this duo with our Marula Oil Hair Mist for added moisture and shine. There are additional products that you can add into your regimen to help with the dryness, a Customer Relations Liaison will reach out to better assist you with your hair goals!