No matter what, you will likely get some split ends in your hair at some point in your life. You may forget to get a trim, or your hair may become dry. If you use hot tools like straighteners and curling irons, your hair may be prone to split ends even faster. When you have split ends, the best solution is to get a hair cut and cut them off. You can also use hair masks or deep conditioning treatments to moisturize your ends and reduce the damage. However, there are ways to prevent split ends from happening in the first place.
Here are some ways to avoid getting split ends:
- Don’t wash and style your hair every day. Unless you have very oily hair that gets greasy by midday, you shouldn’t wash your hair every day. Washing your hair every other day or every few days lets your body repair your hair with its own natural oils. It also reduces the damage done by styling tools like hair dryers, straighteners, and curling irons.
- Make sure you use the right brush. When your hair is wet, use a wide tooth comb to brush through your hair and remove tangles gently. You may also want to use a detangling spray if your hair has a lot of knots in it. When your hair is dry, use a paddle brush for daily brushing. Don’t use brushes with hard bristles because they can rip your hair out if you aren’t careful.
- When you do wash your hair, use this routine for your best hair yet. Use shampoo only on your scalp. The suds will fall down and cleanse your entire head of hair. Then use conditioner only on your ends. This will ensure that your scalp gets clean without adding residue and your ends get moisture that will prevent split ends.
- When you get out of the shower, be careful with your towel drying. Don’t rub your hair with a towel harshly. This can cause damage to your hair and cause split ends. Wrap a towel around your hair and squeeze gently.
- When you use hot styling tools, make sure that you use a heat protectant spray first. You also may want to lower the temperature of the straightener or curling iron to prevent damage or take breaks from using them from time to time.
- Get regular trims. Of course, the key to preventing split ends is getting regular trims. Most hairstylists recommend getting a cut every six weeks or so. This will help with hair growth and your hair’s overall health.
Do you often get split ends? What is your go-to treatment to get rid of split ends or prevent them? Try our Anti-breakage Detangling Comb, which is especially helpful on wet hair!
If you enjoyed this article, please SHARE with your friends and family who always complain about having split ends! You can teach them how to prevent those pesky hairs that break off.
This article is not intended to treat any disease or offer a substitution for professional medical advice.