If you have oily hair, you probably wash your hair once a day. If you don’t, your hair and scalp can become an oily, greasy mess that even the best dry shampoo can’t fix. Then you are forced to throw your hair into a greasy ponytail or bun or cover it up with a hat or scarf. Unfortunately, there are certain foods you probably eat often that contribute to oily hair. You can’t just watch what products you use on your hair, you must be wary of the foods you eat as well.
If you are interested in reducing the amount of oil in your hair, avoid these certain foods:
- Fried foods. While fried foods can be delicious, they also contain extra oil and grease. You may have heard that eating greasy food can make your skin oily and give you acne, but it can also give you oily hair as well. Excess oil can seep from your body into your hair.
- Dairy products that contain milk, cream, or butter, digest in your body as oils and fats. Excess amounts cause oil in your hair and weigh it down.
- Fatty Meats. If you are thinking about going vegan, you might want to try. Not only does dairy cause oily hair, but fatty meats also do as well. Excess fat is hard for your body to digest and can cause excess oil in your hair.
- Any foods with a lot of sugar can cause inflammation in your body and even in your hair follicles. It can cause an imbalance of your hair’s oils which leads to oily hair.
- Refined carbohydrates. Carbs are very much like sugar in your body. If you are eating too many carbs, your oil glands may start to overproduce.
- Salty foods. Consuming too much salt can lead to more oily hair because your body is trying to overcompensate to get rid of dehydration caused by excess salt or sodium.
- While alcohol isn’t technically a food, it is a big cause of excess oil. In similar ways that salt causes oil, alcohol causes dehydration. Drink plenty of water and your skin and hair will thank you for it.
It also depends on what hair type you have to begin with. If you have very dry hair, eating these foods probably won’t cause it to be excessively oily. But, if you have very greasy and oily hair, eating these foods will exacerbate the problem. Stick to a healthy diet of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean meats and your hair will look and feel better.
Did you know that the foods you eat every day can contribute to your oily hair? Will you cut back on certain foods to help your hair become less oily?
If you enjoyed this article and found it informative, please SHARE with all of your friends who have oily hair!