Foods to Avoid if You Have Dry HairIf you have dry hair, you might have an arsenal of conditioners, masks, and other treatments in your bathroom. In the winter, dry hair is more likely to occur, and your scalp could also become itchy and flaky. If you are interested in helping to heal the problem from the inside out, there are certain foods you can eat to help moisturize your scalp and hair. There are also foods that you should avoid if you want to minimize your dry hair issues.

Here is a list of foods you should avoid eating too often if you want to avoid dry and damaged hair:

1. Fish with high levels of mercury. Certain fish like swordfish, mackerel, and sushi contain higher levels of mercury. High levels of mercury could lead to dry hair and eventually hair loss. Certain varieties of tuna are also high in mercury. If you love fish and still want to eat it, try salmon, shrimp, and canned light tuna instead.
  2. Sugar is bad for your skin, and too much of it can be bad for your hair as well. When you eat a lot of sugar, your body pumps out insulin. When your blood sugar rises, your androgen levels also rise, which can cause dry hair. It could even cause your hair to start falling out.
  3. High glycemic foods. High glycemic foods are similar to foods high in sugar and are things like white bread, pasta, and some desserts. Eating these foods triggers a similar response in the body which can lead to dry and thinning hair.
  4. Vitamin A. Typically, some vitamin A is good for your hair, but super high doses can lead to hair dryness and hair loss. You are safe if you are only taking a multivitamin, but if you also take a dosage of vitamin A, you could be at risk. Check all of your supplements and medications to make sure you aren’t taking too much. Consult with your doctor if you are unsure on how much is safe to take or if your hair has been very dry and falling out.
  5. Lastly, if you aren’t eating enough of certain foods, you could experience dry hair and hair loss. If you don’t eat enough foods with protein, iron, and zinc, you could experience dry, damaged hair and even hair loss. Meat contains a lot of protein, but don’t worry if you are vegetarian or vegan. Beans, tofu, quinoa, spinach, and other plant-based foods have plenty of protein. If you need more iron or zinc, eat foods like red meat, beans, and seafood. If you are still lacking any of these nutrients and believe it is causing your dry hair, try taking supplements as directed by your doctor.

Do you experience dry and dull hair in the winter or year-round? Do you think your diet is lacking and that is causing your dry hair issues?

If you found this article informative, please SHARE with your friends and family who have been complaining of dry hair this year!

This article is not intended to treat any disease or offer a substitution for professional medical advice.

14 thoughts on “Foods to Avoid If You Have Dry Hair

Hi Raquel, Keranique is gentle enough for chemically or color-treated hair. We recommend skipping Keranique the day before, the day of, and the day after you color-treat your hair. In addition, we offer a shampoo and conditioning Color Boosting formula designed to reduce color loss and protect from fading while nourishing the scalp and follicle, leaving your hair stronger and more vibrant. You can see more here: https://keranique.com/hair-growth-products

1. Gwyn Shone says:

Good to know “specifics”, keranique! I’m a hairstylist and am aware of the importance of diet when it comes to hair: Utmost! Everything put in, comes out on the hair shaft, which is why tests such as the hair follicle drug test are so accurate. Money spent on those great professional products is a waste if thats the only attempt at having good hair days that you are doing. Sure the morexpensive stufgoodhelps,but try eating healthier and watch the goodhair days come forth!

2. Sherri Eve LaNicca says:

Thanks for the info! Never knew the food could effect my hair! I lost 2/3s of my lovely, thick, long hair bc of a jump in a dosage in my Topamax. 50mgs to 200!! I was losing hair like crazy so I stopped taking it and ordered your product! Im happy to say that my hair stopped falling out and is growing back very nicely!! Thanks for giving me my hair back, a little at a time but I’ll take anything!
    Sincerely,
    Sherri L.

3. Coralie Richmond says:

Thank you for the information on not. using Keranique day before, day of and the day after colouring hair…I did not know that and My colour really washed out…will not do that in future.
    Otherwise it is a fantastic product, aided with nutrients and I received many compliments on the condition of my hair.

4. Polly Hubmann says:

I don’t have that problem with oily hair but I still have the problem of breaking and hair falling out. I have your stuff and it still is not helping with the breaking and losing hair. Help and why.

Hi Polly, it is not uncommon for some users to experience dryness, we would like to help find the right products to suit your hair and scalp needs. It sounds as though you would benefit from switching to our Deep Hydration Scalp Stimulating Shampoo and Deep Hydration Volumizing Keratin Conditioner I have sent a contact request to our Customer Relations Liaison, to discuss your experience, usage and goals with Keranique. This way we can better customize Keranique to work for you. In the mean time you check out our other Keranique Hair Care products right here: https://keranique.com/hair-growth-products
      Thank you, hope to chat soon.

• melissa says:

Rogaine foam is disgusting!! Ever view “Something About Mary? with Cameron Diaz??? that’s how the foam leaves your hair… sticky and gicky!! good for a bald guy that doesn’t want a dribbling liquid.. I have used foam from Costco, used Rogaine/ Minoxidil in a dropper and this spray is so much better as it stays in one area and i just rub it in.