There is only one FDA approved ingredient that is proven to regrow women’s hair, and that is minoxidil. In fact, minoxidil is so effective that it was originally studied as a medicine for high blood pressure, but the participants in the study experienced extreme hair growth all over their bodies. Since that accidental discovery, minoxidil has been used topically to regrow hair.

To sustain long term hair loss, minoxidil is commonly used in conjunction with supplements, as well as other nourishing hair products like shampoo and conditioner. Keranique was featured in Refinery29’s review of “What You Need To Know About Hair-Growth Treatments”, where they discussed the Keranique Hair Regrowth Treatment. Dr. Francesca Fusco, a dermatologist, contributed to the article as well to discuss application of minoxidil-based products.

25 thoughts on “Why Minoxidil Is So Important for Hair Growth Treatments

1. Helen says:

I used the minoxidil treatment with success. However, when I washed my hair after regular treatments with it, it made my eyes very red and took a long time to resolve. It was so bad. I had to buy swim goggles to wash my hair.

Hi Helen,
      We have multiple shampoo and conditioning formulas. I have sent a contact request to our Customer Relations Team who can better assist in customizing Keranique to suit your needs! As you know, your happiness and satisfaction is our number one goal!

2. Tina Lakey says:

The article says there are three ingredients that have been approved by the FDA TO help hair growth. Can you please tell me the names of the other two besides minoxidil?

• Keranique says:

Hi Tina,

We’ve made an update to our article. Minoxidil is the only FDA approved ingredient proven to regrow WOMEN’S hair. Our initial statement was a reference to hair regrowth in general.

Thanks,

3. Rebecca says:

I love Keranique. It has made a real difference in the texture and thickness of my hair. I won’t use anything else.

Hi Aprille,
      I wanted to let you know that I have a contact request to our Customer Relations Team who will be able to better assist you with your order.

4. Deborah L McWhorter says:

It is VERY hard to open and use the regrowth treatment and lift & repair bottles I’ve read the instructions on how to operate them but they are very stif and hard to use, please give me your suggestions, I’am going to be forced to cancel my order if I can not use it. Please help.

Hi Deborah,
      We are sorry to hear about the difficulties in using some components with in Keranique Regrowth System. We have an alternative applicator for the Keranique Regrowth Treatment which is a dropper and can be easier to apply Minoxidil. I wanted to let you know that I have sent a contact request to our Customer Relations Team who will be able to better assist you. Thank you for commenting, and making us aware of the issue so that we can work to better suit Keranique to your needs.
      – Keranique

Hi Arlene,
      Please read the check off list below to see if the system would be good for you. In addition, below the check list is a disclaimer about who should not use Keranique. You can see the full ingredient list of each product within Keranique Hair Care System: https://keranique.com/hair-growth-products

Keranique® Hair Regrowth Treatment with 2% Minoxidil is used to treat certain forms of hair loss for women 18 years old or older. The checklist below will help you determine if it is right for you:

• Generally thinning hair or gradual hair loss on the top of your head
      • You are experiencing a widening part
      • Members of your immediate family or extended family, have experienced hair loss
      • You notice more hair than usual in the shower drain, on your pillow, or in your hairbrush
      • You notice your pony tail is getting thinner
      • You’ve changed your hairstyle to cover up your hair loss

If two or more of these statements are true, you may be experiencing hair loss.

Do not use if you have patchy hair loss. This treatment will not prevent or improve hair loss related to pregnancy, the use of some prescription and non-prescription medications, certain severe nutritional problems, the recently discontinued use of birth control pills, low thyroid states, chemotherapy or diseases that cause scarring of the scalp. Nor will it improve hair loss due to damage from the use of hair products which cause scarring or deep burns of the scalp or hair grooming methods such as cornrows or ponytails that require pulling the hair tightly back from the scalp. Do not use if pregnant or breast feeding. Keep out of reach of children.

5. Tass Hob says:

I was going to use Minoxidil sometime last year but when I was about to buy it, the label on the box does not allow 65 years old and over to use it. Can you explain why please..

Hi Tess,
      Minoxidil can be used as long as you are over 18 years old, and it can be applied on all types and textures of hair. However, Minoxidil should not be used if you have heart disease, in addition you should speak with your doctor if you are under physicians care, as you would do with any other medication.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to our Product Specialists, they are available 24 hours a day for support!

6. Patricia B says:

I am 62 and hair started to thin and bald above the temples on the hairline and noticeable receding. After two months of use this has grown back in. The rest of my hair is thicken as well. I receive compliments daily from co-workers and even strangers on how beautiful my hair is. I love this product. Happy in Wisconsin .

Hi Patricia,
      We are so happy to hear about your success!
      Please do not hesitate to call us for support, we are ALWAYS happy to chat about your hair care goals!

Hi Mae,
      Continued use of Keranique Regrowth Treatment with 2% Minoxidil is needed to regrow your hair and maintain new growth. Keep in mind – hair loss is on going, so using products that help repair or help with regrowth has to be constant. Just like working out – you can’t work out for a month and expect the results to last a year. When you stop using Keranique Regrowth Treatment with 2% Minoxidil, hair follicles revert back to their original state of inactivity and your newly grown hair will eventually fall out as part of your natural shedding process. Please call us – we are happy to chat about your hair care goals! We know hair loss can be devastating so we want you to look and feel your best!

Our Product Specialists are available 24 hours a day at (888)237-4131

Hi Mary,
      Thank you so much for trying Keranique. Keep in mind, everyone is different. Some users notice some results in as little as 2 to 4 months, but to see best results, it can take from 6 months up to a year. Once you’ve experienced initial results, you will continue to see improvement in your hair.

Please call us – we are happy to chat about your hair care goals! We know hair loss can be devastating so we want you to look and feel your best! Our Product Specialists are available 24 hours a day at (888)237-4131.

Hi Belinda, although convenient, our automatic shipment program is very easy to cancel either by phone or you can actually manage your program yourself via our convenient “Manage My Account” online portal. Alternatively you can find Keranique in select CVS stores, Ulta Beauty, and Sephora.com.

7. Barbara Vinogradov says:

I am over 70 years of age. I have very fine hair….I am noticing more hair loss when combing altho this is very mild I am concerned as to why this is happening. Not noticeable overall…would this be due to ageing or do I need to treat this. I have ordered your vitamins and hope this helps.

Hi Barbara, there are a host of factors that influence hair growth and cause hair loss. The #1 reason for hair loss for both men and women is heredity or genetics. For women, hormonal changes, stress, changes in diet or a lack of nutrients, over-styling with hot tools, extensions or weaves, medical or health issues and aging are all factors that can trigger hair loss, and make it worse. If you are looking to thicken your hair, we recommend our Follicle Boosting Serum which will protect, fortifies and repairs existing damage to promote hair fullness.
      Please don’t hesitate to contact our Product Specialist to customize a shipment to work for you. They are available 24 hours a day at (888)237-4131.