If you’ve noticed that your hair looks drier than it once did it your younger days, you’re not alone. As we age, our hair has a more difficult time retaining moisture. Aside from hot tools, hair coloring, and stress, hair just becomes coarse and wiry naturally. Researchers believe that this is due to low melanin production which affects oil production in the scalp. Less natural oil means drier hair.

Think back to the first time you noticed a gray hair–it was dry and brittle. That’s because the hair was void of melanin. Though reversing the clock isn’t necessarily possible, there are ways to make your hair appear softer and bouncier as you age. Here are some ways to combat dry, brittle hair:

Trim Often

When you have split ends, your hair looks lifeless and unhealthy. Getting frequent trims at any age helps keep hair healthy and bouncy. Depending on how fast your hair grows and your hair type, getting a trim often means different things. For curly, kinky hair types aim for a trim every three months. Straight to wavy hair should aim for every 6 weeks if you want to maintain your length.

Use Heat Protectants

If you want to continue blow drying, curling and straightening your hair, you can still do that. Your hairstyle is part of your personality, and cutting out all styling isn’t always an attractive option. Make sure to use heat protecting products before applying any heat. Keep in mind that hair can be “boiled” if high heat is applied for a long amount of time, so be patient with your style and keep tools on medium or low if possible.

Keranique Products

To help hydrate your hair, here are some solutions by Keranique that you can try:

Marula Oil Hair Mist

This oil-rich spray adds moisture and shine and is formulated especially for thin hair. It is lightweight enough to be used in conjunction with other products and won’t build up. Apply this spray before blow drying for optimal results, and spritz after to control frizz and add shine.

Intensive Overnight Hair Repair Serum

Use this serum overnight for some serious follicle nourishment. The ingredients help support hair as it grows, so you can rest easy knowing you’re improving the health of your hair from the roots.

Thickening & Texturizing Mousse

This mousse makes hair smooth and ready to be styled. Not only does it hydrate, but it also helps improve volume. Use this mousse for thermal protection before blow drying or using any other heat tools. Apply to damp or dry hair.

27 thoughts on “Dry Brittle Hair: The Aging Process & What You Can Do

Hi Juliana,
      Shipping worldwide is our goal. Currently, we ship to Australia and New Zealand, in addition to the United States and Canada. You can find Keranique in Ulta Beauty stores and Sephora stores if you have either store local to you.

1. FIONA BREWER says:

I GOT ONE OF THE TRIAL PACKS AND THE CAPSULES FOR THE HAIR AND FIND ALL THE PRODUCTS TERRIFIC. MY HAIR IS DYED ALL THE TIME, BLONDE, AND HAS BEEN FOR YEARS. IT LOOKS AND FEELS SO MUCH BETTER AFTER USING THE KERANIQUE, ITS UNREAL, I LOVE IT. ALSO MY HAIR IS LONG AND I WANT IT A WEE BIT LONGER AND THE PRODUCTS SEEM TO BE HELPING. AT AGE 55 I COULDN’T ASK FOR ANYTHING MORE FROM A HAIR PRODUCT.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH KERANIQUE.
    FIONA

2. Pat says:

I’m having a really hard time squeezing the Conditioner out of the bottle. I guess due to arthritis and the thickness of the conditioner. Any chance you will be changing the design of that item?

Hi Pat,
      We are sorry to hear of your difficulties squeezing the Conditioner. I recommend keeping the Shampoo and Conditioner upside down in your shower, as gravity will help alleviate some squeezing. In addition, I have sent a request to our Customer Relations Liaison for better assistance.

• Teresa says:

I agree. I keep the bottles upside down and still can hardly squeeze the shampoo out and I do not have arthritis. I had to add a little water to thin it out. Would be great if you could purchase a pump for the bottles for easier use. Just an idea!

Hi Teresa,
          Thank you for your suggestion and your tips. I will definitely pass that along to our Operations Department.

• Alicia says:

Very true on both the bottles, shampoo and conditioner are harder than heck to squeeze out. I also keep mine upside down, but it doesn’t help.

To order from Keranique, you must use a credit or debit card, however, you can find Keranique in select CVS stores and Ulta Beauty stores.

• Florinda Rapal says:

I live in Hawaii. Do you know what CVS and Ulta Beauty stores are available here? I would appreciate a reply very much. Aloha!

Hi Florinda,
          I cannot seem to locate an Ulta in Hawaii, in addition, none of the CVS stores in Hawaii carry Keranique.
          I did, however, locate 5 Sephora stores in Hawaii and they carry Keranique:

Phone: (808) 670-2580

Aiea, Pearlridge
          98-1005 Moanalua Rd
          Suite 224
          Aiea, HI96701
          Phone: (808) 487-0660

You can also find Keranique right here:

3. Fran says:

What about perms. I have fine very straight hair and would like some body and to be able to hold
    a curl Any suggestions?

Hi Fran,
      It sounds as though our Keranique Lift & Repair Treatment Spray would be beneficial. This easy to use styling spray adds instant volume, lift, fullness, body, and bounce. Use it for blow drying, holding and setting, protecting, adding volume, lifting, controlling, and finishing any style. Makes fine, thinning hair look and feel thicker. Keranique’s Lift & Repair Treatment Spray lifts and holds thinning hair – even in high humidity – for lasting volume and fullness. Forms a sheer film on each hair strand that acts like invisible scaffold on the hair for touchable yet lasting volumizing lift. You can see more here: https://keranique.com/product_card/Lifting_Spray

4. Lillian Lapshinoff says:

Recently I have been shedding more hair than normal. It comes out in long strands of hair. I phoned a couple of times, and did not get any advice, they said they were unable to find my account. I’ve had my account for a year or so, and followed directions religiously. I need to find out if I should continue with this process, hoping for better results.

Thanks,

Lillian

Hi Lillian,
      I am sorry to hear that the Product Specialists had difficulties locating your account. A Customer Relations Liaison will contact you to discuss your experience, soon. Thank you

Hi Edith,
      Thank you for your question. Our Keranique Risk-Free Trial enables you to try the products for 30 days without paying for the products. If you keep the products past 30 days, you will be billed two payments for the two month supply and a new shipment is sent every 60 days in order to prevent any lapse in results. Each package comes with a full 60-day money back guarantee to ensure that you are satisfied with your results and our automatic shipment program is customizable, based on your individual needs. We have sent a call back request to our Customer Relations Liaison, they will contact you soon. Thank you

Hi Maureen,
      We are sorry for the difficulties in placing your order. We do ship to Australia, I have sent a request for a call back to better assist you.

5. Dorothy Morrison says:

Please stop sending me emails I am no longer interested in your product.
    Happy to have already received the the first stuff but am no longer interested.

Hi Dorothy,
      We have updated your account to reflect your request. In addition, a Customer Relations Liaison will contact you to better assist you.

6. Loretta Tokuda says:

I color my hair and can I use Keranique hair growth products? I have 6 of those products, still in the original box because I’m not to sure of the outcome. How long can I keep the product and still be effective?

Hi Loretta, great question! Keranique is gentle enough for chemically or color-treated hair. We recommend skipping Keranique the day before, the day of, and the day after you color-treat your hair. In addition, Keranique products are good for up to two years unopened, and up to one year once it has been opened. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions at keranique@keranique.com. Thank you