Like many women, you might not consider your hair brush as part of your hair care routine that needs a lot of attention and maintenance. More of your attention is on the products you use and the hot tools used to help you get a desired look. However, it is important for the health of your hair that you stop what you’re doing and toss that old hair brush that you’ve had for years. Experts say that even if you’re cleaning your brush once a week, which is recommended, you should still toss your hair brush after six months to one year of use.

Here’s why:

1. It’s Causing Dandruff

Your hair brush has been collecting your hair and everything in it for as long as you’ve had it. That means your brush is full of hair product, oil, mites, and dead hair & skin cells. This creates a breeding ground for bacteria and yeast that can be contributing to a flakey scalp or rash.

2. It Doesn’t Work As Well As It Should

Bristles that are damaged or melted just aren’t doing the job like they used to. The brush you use can help the look and shine of your hair, and a new boar bristle brush can help do that. The hair that’s stuck in your brush creates a felt that means the bristles are shorter and may not be detangling as effectively as they could.

3. It’s Damaging Your Hair

Bristles that have become mangled over time are not kind to your hair. They can tear at your strands as you try to detangle. Since healthy hair starts at your scalp, your hair can be damaged if the scalp is being harmed by the residue on your hair brush.

4. It’s a Hot Bed for Caked-On Product

Your hair brush should be distributing your natural oils throughout your hair, not old product. To clean off your hair brush, fill your sink with warm water and add some shampoo. Get into the cracks between the bristles with a child’s toothbrush for a deep clean that won’t ruin your brush.

11 thoughts on “Four Reasons to Replace Your Hair Brush

Hi Ann, thank you for reaching out. I have escalated your question about Keranique hair brush to our Customer Relations Liaison to better assist you. Thank you

1. Shahadah Badghaish says:

I been using your keranique almost a year. The products did me good until a couple months ago. I used the dye on my hair that I been using over 10 years. Never had any problems with it. I use all your products. How come my hair is falling out. Help me please.

Hi Shahadah,
      We are sorry to hear about your experience. I have sent a contact request to our Customer Relations Liaison to better assist you. Thank you

Hi Mary Ann,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We recognized that everyone is different. Some users notice some results in as little as 2 to 4 months, but to see best results, it can take from 6 months up to a year. However, we do offer a full 120 day money back guarantee when you purchase directly through Keranique. A Customer Relations Liaison will contact you to better assist you. Alternatively, our Customer Service is available 24 hours a day at (888)237-4131.

2. consuelo says:

hi. I just start to using your products because my hair is falling out. for how long I have to wait for see a good result ? I have straight hair and I hope this product work on my hair and stop that my hair to continue falling. thank you

Hi Consuelo,

We are so happy to hear that you are trying Keranique! We know that you will love, but we understand that everyone is different. Some users notice some results in as little as 2 to 4 months, but to see best results, it can take from 6 months up to a year. Once you’ve experienced initial results, you will continue to see improvement in your hair. Remember to keep using the Hair Regrowth Treatment every day, twice a day, morning and night to see the regrowth!

Thanks and keep up the great work,