If you have curly hair, you know that you need to take proper care of your carefree locks. Here are some of our favorite curly hair tips:
- Always comb your hair from the bottom up to detangle each knot. If you start at the top, you could compound all tangles towards the bottom instead.
- Regular trims are crucial for every hair type, especially for curly hair. Split ends can make your hair frizzy so get a trim every six to eight weeks.
- Mix products together well to meet your specific styling needs. Products that work well together are smoothing serum and mousse or coconut oil and styling gel. Smoothing serum also works well on its own because it will smooth your curls and give them definition and separation. Mousse is also a great product for curly-haired gals! Try our Thickening & Texturizing Mousse for body, shine, and volume.
- Always use a wide-tooth comb to detangle, not a brush. A wide-tooth comb has been known to detangle curls and reduce frizz and your natural curl pattern.
- If your hair is getting dry or dull, you’ll want to try a conditioning treatment. Apply only to your ends to give them moisture and bounce.
- Try a pineapple technique. No, it doesn’t involve eating pineapple, but making your hair look like one! Gather your hair loosely at the highest point you can, right before bed. It will protect your curl pattern and maintain natural volume. When you wake up, take it down and your curls will be intact.
- When you blow dry your hair, use a diffuser. A diffuser is an attachment that you use with your hairdryer to minimize frizz and boost your curl’s volume. To use your diffuser, squeeze the water out of your hair and then use a heat protectant before you start drying. Twirl each curl with your fingers as you dry.
- If you need an instant refresher, just use a curling iron or curling wand to give your curls a quick pick me up.
- The best hairstyles for curly hair are a topknot, a slicked-back ponytail, braids of any kind, and just letting your curls go natural! They look beautiful and may be the envy of all straight-haired women around.
Do you have curly hair? What is your best curly hair tip? Share with us in the comments below!