Part of your normal haircare routine, brushing your hair can contribute to hair health. It’s important to brush your hair to distribute the naturally occurring oils that secrete from your scalp. These oils help nourish the hair shaft for shinier, healthier hair.

That being said, the short answer is yes… sometimes.

Your hair goes through cycles and it falls out once that cycle is complete. Normal hair fall is about 50-100 strands per day. If you brush your hair too much, tangled hair can break or be pulled out, thus increasing the rate at which your hair falls out. Too much friction from bristles can cause permanent damage. Cheap brushes can also cause your hair to break, which can lead to split ends.

At the same time, brushing your hair is an important part of hair maintenance.

So what can you do? Here are some tips to avoid over-brushing that can lead to damage or hair loss:

Do not brush wet hair. Wet hair is far more susceptible to damage and can break easier if you attempt to brush it. Instead, brush right before a shower if your hair “poofs” when brushed, or comb gently right after conditioning in the shower.

Brush to detangle. Don’t brush your hair if you don’t need to. Frequent and unnecessary brushing can strain the hair follicles.

Try a Boar Bristle Brush. These brushes are more gentle on hair, but are also effective in detangling. Inexpensive plastic can lead to more breakage.

11 thoughts on “Can brushing your hair damage it?

1. Stacy says:

Hi! I’m in bed 24/7 unfortunately and I have long fine hair. I used to put it in a very loose scrunchy but my hair dresser told me that can break my hair. But, if I leave it loose and don’t brush it for a day or two the tangles are so hard to get out. Even if I brush it ice a day. My hairbrush is full of hair I’m begin to thin so bad you can see my scalp. I use something that’s like an eyeshadow to put on my scalp. It’s embarrassing when I have to go out to the Dr. Isn’t a loose scrunchy better at least I don’t have tangles and all that hair in my brush and little wispiness all over my head which I guess is breakage. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!! What should I do? Thanks, Stacy 🌹

Hello, if you are concerned about hair thinning or hair loss, before using Keranique we recommend consulting with your physician, as Keranique contains Minoxidil.

2. Jasmine says:

How many times a week should i wash my hair with these products, i have coloured red hair so I do add my red shampoo to get my colour vibrant once washed,

Just replace the Keranique shampoo and conditioner, with your current shampoo and conditioner and use as you would normally.

3. Micki says:

I am in my early 80s on my dads side baldness is present in the men & women I am almost bald on top will
    Keranique help me?

4. Espie says:

I started using keranique. it’s my 4th week and I been loosing my hair when I brush it more than I ever have. Is this normal? Concern client

Hi Espie,
      Thank you for reaching out. Although it can be nerve-racking, hair shedding at the beginning of the treatment is not uncommon, but it’s temporary (usually lasting from 2 – 6 weeks at most), and this can actually indicate that Keranique is working. Hair grows slowly – on average hair grows about ½ inch per month. It has to emerge from the follicle before it grows from the scalp so there will be a short period of 3 – 4 months before you will begin to see a visible difference. As the Keranique® Hair Regrowth Treatment with 2% Minoxidil begins to take effect and regrow hair, it is important to realize that it can also help stop further hair loss by revitalizing and stimulating hair follicles. Keep in mind, once you’ve experienced initial results, you will continue to see improvement in your hair. Please do not hesitate to contact our Product Specialists, they are available 24 hours a day at (888)237-4131.