If you have permanently straight hair, you might have always wondered what it would be like to switch it up and have curls. You might even consider a perm. Perms were all the rage back in the day, and yes, they still do them now! However, they are definitely a lifestyle that requires routine care and commitment to maintain fabulous curls. Here’s everything you should know before you decide to get a perm or not:

1. Make sure your hair isn’t too damaged before you decide to get a perm. You have to have healthy hair for a perm to come out properly. If your hair is damaged from coloring, treatments or just very dry, you might want to get your hair in better, healthier condition before you get a perm.
  2. Think again if you have short or layered hair. It may not come out like you’d want or expect it to. Ask your hairstylist if your hair is an appropriate length and style before committing to curls.
  3. Avoid chemical treatments before and after your perm. Keep in mind, after you get your perm you should avoid getting your hair colored for at least a month. You also shouldn’t get it colored too close before you get a perm because it could damage your hair.
  4. You’ll have to get all new products and a new hair care routine. Ask your hairstylist for their recommendations for shampoos, conditioners, and other styling products to help you maintain your new curls. This is definitely an investment.
  5. Just like it is an investment, it is also a commitment. It isn’t called a perm for no reason. It is permanent. While it won’t last the rest of your life, it will last a long time depending on your hair length and type. You’ll need to figure out how to take care of it properly if you want it to keep looking amazing.
  6. It might weaken and damage your hair. However, if you use the right products and take care of your tresses, it is much like coloring your hair. There are always risks when you change your hair type with chemicals. Keep in mind, you might feel pain when your perm is being done and that could mean your hair follicles are being damaged.
  7. Like any new hair style or hair treatment, consult with your stylist before you jump right in. They will give you advice on pros and cons for your specific hair and help you make the best decision for you and your hair.

Happy perming – if you decide to do it!

Have you ever permed your hair? Did you love it or hate it? Share your story with us!

14 thoughts on “Should You Get a Perm?

Yes, you can use the Minoxidil on both permed and color-treated hair. We recommend that you do not use Minoxidil on the same day your hair is colored or treated with permanent wave chemicals.

1. Dottie says:

I did it right after I had put color on my hair. OMG I really didn’t know what I was doing. Never again did I try to do my own hair. I just had it chopped off. You could take it and it would stretch. I waited about 15 years to try it again and with a professional person. It was beautiful but when it started to go straight again, I went in to the same person. It didn’t look as it did the first time and it was the last time I ever permed my hair. I don’t know, maybe times and improved products have made it better. It was a lot of extra work

2. Pam says:

I’ve been thinking of getting a perm as my hair on top is very sparse. Only perm the better hair. I’ve been using only keranique products and was hopeful that this might help. So far it hasn’t. My scalp is very dry should I not use one of the products? Last couple weeks it’s been very itchy. Any thoughts? Can I perm healthier hair okay? Do you have any products that won’t dry out my scalp? Appreciate your help and thoughts.

hello! You can use the Minoxidil on both permed and color-treated hair. We recommend that you do not use Minoxidil on the same day your hair is colored or treated with permanent wave chemicals.

3. Maxine says:

My hair is already permed. Just wondering if Keranique will ever start making a perm. I try to stay with a mild perm. Have been having a Perm most of my life. I try to stay with all Keranique products.

4. Pamela Boger says:

I notice you toke out a payment in July on my credit card but, I have not receive my package yet. So when will I get it. I am running out of everything.

Thanks for reaching out to Keranique. Someone from our customer service team will be in touch with you shortly!

5. Charlotte Wright says:

Can keranique shampoo & conditioner be used with permed hair? Mine is curly do i use perm to relax the curl

6. Mary carskadon says:

I’m a hairdresser pf 50 plus years. IF PERMS ARE DONE PROPERLY..there is no detectible damage. It’s delightful for a change when boredom sets in for sure! If your stylist is not rinsing long enough (5 full min. ) OR blotting well enough…OR not rinsing and timing the neutralizer properly you could experience problems. Typically, good professional conditioners can help out with a worse case scenario!! Hair is just too much fun to miss out on what can be done to not ever try. I color a week after with never a problem. But typically I schedule the color for the next cut cycle.

7. Maxine says:

I don’t use dye. I use rinse semi permanent by clairol. Beautiful Collection. Is that ok to use with my Keranique products?