Does it feel like your hair grows super fast in the summer months? Theories suggest that there is a correlation between the summer heat and hair growth. But is that really true?
Unfortunately, experts say no. There may be a slight increase in the rate of growth but it wouldn’t be anything to notice. Mainly this is a myth. You might feel like your hair is growing faster if you get your hair highlighted and the line between your base and your scalp gets more noticeable. When your hair is naturally lightened by the sun, it may also give the effect that it is growing faster and longer than ever.
Your hair doesn’t grow any faster in different seasons or months.
So, what do you do if you actually want your hair to grow faster?
- Try supplements that are great for your hair and nail growth, like biotin or vitamin E. Prenatal vitamins can do wonders for your hair and you can take them even if you aren’t pregnant. They also make supplements specifically for longer and stronger hair if you don’t want your mom or significant other to freak out that you bought pre-natal vitamins.
- Don’t wash your hair every day unless it is very oily. You put stress on your hair and risk damage every time you wash, style, blow dry, brush it, etc. Leave your hair natural to keep it healthy and it will grow faster.
- Get regular trims. This might seem like the opposite of what you should do, but getting regular trims will decrease split ends and keep your hair healthy, which will help it grow faster.
- However, if you want to avoid breakage and you want your hair to grow faster, avoid getting it colored or highlighted this summer. It only weakens your hair and it often stops growing.
- Apply oil or a hair mask weekly to increase hydration and keep your hair healthy and strong. This will help it grow faster.
- Try a silk pillowcase. Silk pillowcases are better to sleep on instead of cotton pillowcases because it helps keep your hair shiny and moisturized, which in turn will help it grow faster.
- Lastly, give yourself a scalp massage. This can actually help bring circulation to your hair follicles and encourage them to grow.
Do you envy those with long, strong hair? Sorry to bust the myth that your hair grows faster in the summer, but you can still help it grow faster with these tips! Which one will you try? Share your tips below!