Great haircare tricks aren’t any further than your own kitchen. Keranique’s Trichologist, Sharday Miranda, breaks down which items you can find in your pantry that will work wonders on your hair, and what results you can expect:
1. Baking Soda– Remedies product build-up, dull hair, or hair that just hangs out and doesn’t have much life to it, even thinning hair
- Gets rid of product build up and strips hair of silicones that are used in some products which coat your hair shaft
- Baking soda turns the sebum (oil – what we feel makes our hair look greasy) of your hair into its own soap
- Removes Chlorine
- Promotes hair regrowth – cleans hair thoroughly helping the hair grow long and strong
HOW TO USE – you can start by using 1 tablespoon of baking soda stirred into 6 tablespoons of water (1:3 ratio) – replacing your shampoo for the time you do it. You can place it on your hair wet or dry and you want to start at the roots first – let sit for a few minutes and rinse off with warm water.
2. Eggs – If you want to add luster, strength, and moisture.
- Helps condition your hair
- Helps get rid of frizz
- Helps stimulate hair growth – rich in protein. We all know from our previous FB live session our hair needs protein in order for hair regrowth to occur.
- Makes your hair shiny
- Adds volume
- Prevents hair fall
HOW TO USE – place the egg yolks in a bowl and mix well. Apply to scalp and hair – sit under shower cap for 5-10 mins and rinse well with regular shampoo and conditioner.
3. Olive Oil – Moisturize and strengthen as well as smooth and shine
- Control Frizz – make sure not to apply too much (a few drops is perfect)
- Retains moisture – olive oil is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is also loaded with emollients which have softening qualities
- Help smooth split ends
HOW TO USE –make sure you are measuring when applying olive oil to the hair, start off with a tablespoon and add more if needed, depending on texture and amount of hair you have. Massage deeply into hair and place shower cap on for at least 15 mins. Rinse with shampoo very well – you may need to shampoo twice.
4. Honey -Seals moisture into hair, prevents damage, prevents hair fall by strengthening hair follicles, natural conditioner
- Moisture! Moisture! It’s a natural humectant that attracts moisture
- Encourages hair regrowth – Full of antioxidants and nutrients that feed hair follicles
- Conditions hair
- Can prevent hair loss – honey has a high sugar content which helps retain moisture and strengthen the hair follicles
HOW TO USE – when using honey, make sure you are careful because it can be very messy and sticky. It can also be mixed with water. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE USING RAW ORGANIC HONEY IF POSSIBLE. Please ensure not to use honey or mixing honey with one of the ingredients if you have limp thin or very oily hair – it will make it greasier and heavier. Leave on for 20 to 30 mins and rinse – Honey and Olive Oil-– ½ cup of honey and ¼ cup of olive oil
5. Avocado – To add shine – avocado could help make your hair appear thicker, prevent damage.
- Helps make hair
- Helps makes hair stronger
- Helps eliminate frizz
- Helps with shine
HOW TO USE – Contains biotin – vitamins A & E – rich in proteins – Avocado can be used by itself but it is usually used with one of the other ingredients mentioned above.
Here is an example: Avocado, Egg Yolk, and Olive Oil – this will help your hair and scalp feel more nourished, your hair will also look more lustrous and full. After shampooing, mash up an avocado and mix with one egg yolk and a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Massage into the scalp and comb through the hair to the roots. Leave on for at least thirty minutes before rinsing off thoroughly with warm water. (For an even deeper treatment, after applying the masque, cover with a shower cap and leave on for as long as possible before rinsing.)
6. Mayonnaise – Hair growth, straightening, conditioning, defines curls, treats dandruff, protects colored hair, calms frizzy hair
- Restores damaged hair – vinegar contained in mayo helps maintain a healthy pH balance
- Helps hair breakage –protein found in mayo
- Defines curl pattern
- Helps get rid of frizz
HOW TO USE – Mayonnaise can be used by itself or with the other ingredients mentioned above. Apply mayo directly to hair and scalp – start off by using ½ cup of mayo. Make sure to cover the entire hair shaft starting at your roots to your ends. Place on shower cap and leave for at least 20 mins – can be left on longer. Wash with a mild shampoo very well.
Mayo, Eggs yolks, Olive Oil – Mix 5 tablespoons of mayo with 2 eggs, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Apply to hair from roots to ends and leave on under a shower cap for at least 30 mins. Rinse with cold water using a mild shampoo.