In the cold winter months, your hair can go through a lot of damage. For those living in frigid temperatures, you’re likely under a hat at all times. Well, depending on the fabric, it could be drying your hair out, causing split-ends, and we all hate the dreaded ‘hat hair.’
Here are some quick and useful tips on how to keep your hair strong, healthy, and looking great all winter long…
- Washing your hair too often will dry out your hair and your scalp.
- Don’t use hot water when lathering up, lukewarm water is both better for your hair and skin.
- Try not to over use heat styling products like hairdryers, flat irons and curling irons.
- Make sure your hair is dry before going out into the cold weather.
- Trim your ends every 6 weeks or so to get rid of split ends.
- Always use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
- Use a deep conditioner once a week to give it added nutrients and avoid breakage and split ends.
- Add a few drops of olive oil or coconut oil to wet or damp hair.
- Drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet to help make your hair and nails stronger and more beautiful from the inside out.
- Consider investing in a humidifier to help keep your skin, hair, and sinuses from drying out.
- Wear a hat when you are out in the elements, but try to avoid synthetic hats that can be rough on your hair. You might also want to consider wearing a silk cap under your favorite wooly hat to keep it protected while also avoiding hat-hair.
The cold months mean that you need to supply our hair with a little TLC, so keep it moisturized, protected from the elements and eat well to give it the vitamins and minerals it needs to stay healthy.