Okay, many of us tend to see our hair as our best accessory and enjoy making it do all the fun things we want, but all that curling, straightening, dying, stripping, tying, twisting, braiding, and heat can have lasting effects.
Does this mean that we can’t still have fun with our locks? No way! But here are a few ways to prevent damaging (or further damaging) our hair:
- Use moisturizing shampoo that fits your hair type.
- Rinse your hair in cool water to seal the pores.
- Don’t brush your hair when it’s wet, use a comb or fingers to detangle -brushing can cause breakage and frizz.
- Air dry whenever possible.
- Use the hairdryer on the lowest setting and don’t let it touch your hair, it can actually burn it.
- Try to limit your use of flat irons, curling irons, and hot combs.
- We lose a lot of our natural oil when we color our hair, so be careful not to over bleach or color to avoid overly dry hair that becomes brittle and can easily break off.
- Braids that are in too tight and for too long cause breakage and scalp irritation that could lead to hair loss, so limit how long and often your hair is in braids.
- Get regular trims to get rid of dead and split ends. It will prevent breakage and help your hair appear longer and stronger.To learn more, visit Keranique, at HSN.